PROMOTING R&D FOR WHOLE BRAIN EMULATION
At Carboncopies, we believe that the possibilities and opportunities enabled by whole brain emulation (WBE) represent the most promising technological path to overcoming our fundamental limitations as a species.
To achieve WBE, essential advances are needed in neurobiology, neurophysiology, brain imaging, micro- and nanoscale technologies, computational neuroscience, computing hardware, and even the philosophy of mind. We provide peer networks and project opportunities to scientists working on challenges critical to whole brain emulation and recognize that there is a long road ahead of us.
To promote and accelerate WBE, our foundation:
- Encourages scientific collaboration to create stepping-stone technologies.
- Publishes reviews of scientific literature and technology developments.
- Maintains R&D roadmaps to identify and address scientific and engineering challenges.
- Increases general awareness of the human adaptability gap and the possibility that neural prosthesis, WBE, and substrate-independent minds may offer solutions.
- Hosting conferences and workshops, and provides informational material.
If you share our vision and want to get involved, then we encourage you to join our volunteer team!
New: Join us at our regular Journal Club! The next one is at 11am US PDT / 6pm GMT on Sunday, April 12, 2020. There are two ways to join:
#1 - watch and comment on the livestream at http://livestream.carboncopies.org
#2 - participate by calling in at http://call.carboncopies.org
The paper presented at the next JC is: "The Fallacy of Favoring Gradual Replacement Mind Uploading Over Scan-and-Copy" by Keith Wiley and Randal Koene.